Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Clean Water for Everyone!

Last September, after arriving home from Guatemala disgusted by the contaminated water situation, I posted this.

I ended that post saying, “It will cost an estimated $10,000 to provide every family in Pueblo Nuevo with a water filter. I have never been one to dream small. It is my personal prayer that every person has access to CLEAN water by the end of 2011.”

With every thing else we were and are committed to in this village, it was my hope that in just over a year every single person living there would have access to clean water.  Did I believe it was possible?  Yes.  Did I think it would happen?  No.

But our God is so much bigger than my doubts.

By the end of December, every family in Pueblo Nuevo that wants a water filter will have one.  The Lord has provided in such an amazing way for this and it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.  Oh me of little faith.  Why would I think this would be a challenge?  He overcame the grave.  Making sure everyone in a small Guatemalan village has clean water is nothing for Him!

With the help of individual donors (from those that donated one filter to the one that donated 100) and Istrouma Baptist Church in Baton Rouge, LA, we will be distributing filters weekly, beginning next week, until everyone has one.  Along with that, each family will attend a hygiene class and hear the message of Christ. 

Because of this we can now begin our stove project.  One stove will be installed next week and more information will be provided when we return.  These clean burning stoves will not only eliminate illnesses, but also help with job creation as women become better able to cook and sell their foods.  Clarita, for instance, will be able to start the tamale business she has been dreaming of and produce more tamales than she does over her open fire.  She is just one example of a soon-to-be new business owner in Pueblo Nuevo all because she will have a stove.

I don’t even know how to end a post like this.  As I am sitting here overwhelmed in Starbucks, what I want to do is jump up and down and let everyone know how great God is and tell them all about this village that is getting clean water and new stoves, learning how to take care of themselves through hygiene and preventative health classes and creating new jobs and providing for themselves (by God’s provision for them) without getting handouts of trial sized hygiene products, clothes, shoes and toys.  I want to tell everyone how happy they are when they receive something that is life changing versus receiving that thing that won’t last a month and how much dignity they have when they do something for themselves versus us doing it for them.  What I want to do is tell the world how it is all being done while men, women and children are learning about Jesus and how they are coming to know Him.  And I want to tell everyone that says, “You’re doing great things,” that I’m not.  It isn’t me.  I’m just the one that mentions this village and asks people to help.  He’s the one that moves hearts and changes lives and molds us all, both those of us here in the U.S. and our friends in Guatemala, into what He created us to be.  His.  I will never cease to be amazed by the work of His hand.

No comments: