Monday, April 6, 2009

What is Weaving Families?

I’ve had several people ask me about Weaving Families lately. Is this a part of Across All Borders? Who are they and what do they do? Are they an adoption agency? Why do we talk about them and link to them often on the AAB blog? Basically, why do we think Weaving Families Adoption Ministry is so important?

No, Weaving Families is not a part of Across All Borders. We are two separate organizations started by different families….they are an adoption ministry and we are an orphan care and family outreach ministry. With that said and while we are separate, we very much support the work of Weaving Families and they do the same for Across All Borders.

Weaving Families is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. They are NOT an adoption agency. They provide professional counseling, both in their office in Charlotte, NC and long distance consultations. They currently counsel adoptive parents, children (adoptees), adult adoptees and hope to soon begin counseling birth mothers. They help with a variety of issues and concerns, both pre and post adoption. They provide adoption education, workshops and presentations at churches and other adoption groups, as well as provide comfort for adoptive families. (This information was taken from a recent Weaving Families blog post.)

We believe in Weaving Families because this ministry is something that is greatly needed and is beneficial to the adoption community. I, personally, have not heard of any thing else like this in the country and I am impressed by the concept of this organization.

RJ (a Licensed Professional Counselor in NC and a National Certified Counselor) and Rebecca Caswell, founders of Weaving Families, are the parents of 4 children that were adopted from Guatemala and Ghana, so they know firsthand what it is like to journey through the adoption process. In addition to that, they have walked through the struggles of infertility and know what that brings. When it comes to infertility, the emotions from all sides in adoption, attachment and bonding, and all other issues that relate to adoption, they are among the most educated people I know and are well equipped for this ministry. They believe the same as we do and as many adoptive parents do, (as stated by RJ in the below video) “Adoption is a two-fold calling…..one, to grow your family and two, to care for orphans from across the world.”

Below is a video of the Caswell’s that was created for the adoption group at their church. This video was made before their twin boys from Ghana came home. The clip isn’t about Weaving Families, but about one family that knows the miracle of adoption and cares deeply for orphans around the world. Meet the Caswell’s…



On a personal note, I support Weaving Families because I know, without a doubt, that the Caswell’s are incredible people that are simply following God’s call for their lives, which includes Weaving Families. I have known Rebecca for years and have been blessed by her constant support and encouragement through our own struggle with infertility, through our adoption and even still as Across All Borders begins working in Guatemala. Her continued support of our work in Guatemala and as we prepare to begin our second adoption means more than I can ever say. The Caswell’s passion for adoption, orphans and families that are struggling around the world is inspiring and to be able to call them friends is a blessing in itself.

As strange as this sounds, I have never met either one of them, but that will soon change. In December, Rebecca and I will come face to face for the first time in an airport while waiting for a connecting flight. From there, we will travel to Guatemala together to work with orphans and families that are at risk of leaving their children as orphans. We will spend that time working together in the country that made us both mothers. Rebecca once wrote on her blog:

“When I think of Terry and her passion for helping with the immense needs in Guatemala I continually think of Isaiah 6:8:
"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
That has been one of the greatest blessings along our adoption journey- the people that we have met who don't pause long to wonder what will it cost them to say "yes" to the Lord. “

Isn’t it amazing that when I think of RJ and Rebecca, I have ALWAYS thought the exact same thing? This family that continually says “Yes!” to the Lord, didn’t pause long to think when a person they have never met called Rebecca not long ago to ask her to represent Across All Borders (as well as Weaving Families) with me in Guatemala in December and possibly other future trips. When I think of Rebecca…a calm, sensible woman… I can almost see a person jumping up and down and shouting to the Lord, “Here am I! Send me!” Her love for Guatemala (and Ghana), orphans and families runs as deep as mine and I cannot express how happy I am that she will be traveling with Across All Borders and how greatly she will benefit the mission of AAB (not to mention that I am ecstatic about finally meeting someone that I feel like I‘ve known forever).

Rebecca - I won’t go on and on which is totally unlike me, I know. I think you know how grateful I am for your friendship, support, encouragement and prayers throughout the years and I’m sure you’re starting to understand that I really cannot wait for December. All I will say is that YOU bless ME…always! You both bless us. Love you, girl! :)

Adoption and orphan care should not and cannot exist without the other. Not all orphans will be adopted, but the best way to care for orphans is to provide them with families that love them. Adoption is the best orphan care there is (in my opinion). Weaving Families is a ministry that is bringing this to light and we believe that through them many people will be blessed and more children will be adopted. Across All Borders is working to reach the children that are not adopted and striving to prevent more children from becoming orphans. We are two very different organizations with different goals, but with the same passion of caring for the world’s orphans.

Will you join us?

Please visit the Weaving Families website to learn more about their work.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

RJ and I are personally blessed by you and Weaving Families is as well.
Pretty much speechless and humbled.
Thank you.
I cannot wait for December!!!

Guatemalan Genes said...

Hi,
I am making stops at all blogs I find with people with adopted children from Guatemala to extend an invitation to visit my blog. I was born and raised in Guatemala, later moved to the US and became a naturalized US citizen. We have one son adopted from Guatemala and two biological born in Guatemala. Having met various people with adopted children from Guatemala I felt I had a gift to give and that was share my heritage. In the blog I am posting all things Guatemalan: recipes, nursery rhymes, places to visit, etc.... If you do stop by and like it, please share, comment and ask for topics.